Friday, January 4, 2008

JMO - Religion in Politics

Reading all news stories about the presidential primaries, I would like to ask the candidates to park the religion and ask the public and reporters to stop asking about it. We've all seen what a born-again Christian can do to the role and work of the President with George Bush and the damage done in the name of his faith, and I for one, have had enough. But now I read about Romney's mormonism and Huckabee's faith, and I would like them to simply stop. Stop making it an issue.

I'm not arguing against religion or against a President who has a personal faith. I'm arguing it's not a part of a President's role and job representing this country and the people. I listened to Huckabee's statement about wanting to be the President "of" the people, but reading about his values and views, I wonder if he can be or just wants to be the President of the people who agree with him or have his faith.

Can he really be the President of all the people, as he says he wants to do, to unite us when we've heard the same promises in 2000 from then candidate Bush only to find they were false promises - and from a man of faith too? Can Huckabee after saying HIV patients should be isolated, saying homosexuality is immoral, and so on, simply reiterating what he believes his faith tells him than being a human being and telling his faith to take a back seat.

Can Romney really divorce his decisions and actions, if he were elected, from his mormon faith and the Mormon Church? He says he could, but somehow I don't see it as he would simply limit his options and choices to those that fit into his faith and church than look at the whole diversity the people and our country. Does the Mormon Church really think he'll abandon them so simply disguise or reframe it like George Bush has done about his faith throughout his terms?

Can the Democrats really stop stumbling over themselves trying to out-faith the other one so we think they're a good person? A good person doesn't need a religion or faith to be good, it's about what Martin Luther King said, the character of our being. It's about knowing what's good without resorting to some artifice or book of a religion as a guide. That's an excuse not to think and be a good person.

Can we get the candidates to simply say, "I have a personal faith. It helps guide me in some situations, but it's not the main reason or the values I will exercise as President. I will be a President of all the people and find the best for everyone. I will not abide by the values or views of any single faith or religion or be bound by any single church. I will seek the counsel of those from all sides, facets, and aspects on an issue, even those I may not agree with because of my faith. I will accept it as the whole of the human condition and people of this country. That is the role and job of being President."

So, do you think any one will?

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, but I don't see where your comment relates to the post other than spam. I'll leave it here for awhile, but I reserve the right to delete it in the future. And, sorry, I'm retired from one caereer working on a second one, and I don't need or want to work for anyone else anymore.

    ReplyDelete