Monday, April 11, 2016

Domain Name Scam

I've owned my domain name since 2000 with the same Website host and the same domain nane host. Every now and then I get an e-mail from some domain name host company demanding I pay them to keep my domain name and information current and accurate, and threatening action if I don't.

This is in part because the information on the registration appears dated, but in truth, nothing has changed in the last 5 years, so following the rules, I review it once a year to ensure it's complete, accurate and true, which means nothing to update.

The latest round of threatening e-mails is from a company called accountsupport-inc.com, or accountsupport.com, which is one of the many names used by Endurance International Group, Inc, see the Boston BBB for more information and the list of subsidaries they use to send these e-mails to domain name owners.

It's a scam. Pure and simple. Clicking on the link sets up and account for you with their company they charge you for doing nothing for you or your domain name. I usually just delete these e-mails. Today I almost replied with a cease and desist e-mail, but changed my mind and deleted it.

This is because once you respond they know you read their e-mail enough to act. That's what they want, so that they can engage you to believe they can act against your domain name and they can protect it with a subscription to their service. They can't do the former and won't do the latter.

That's why it's a scam. Make sure your domain name information is correct and only do business with the Website host and domain name host about your domain name. Anyone else is bogus and a scam if they want your money.

No comments:

Post a Comment