Sunday, April 8, 2012

Google Map API II


This is an update to the March post about the issues, or really problems, I'm having converting the Google maps API from version 2 to version 3. Until I get one map done and working, it's an on-going adventure, to which I'm still exploring options to find someone to help with the Google map API work, but for now I've set it aside to return to the overdue and soon to be due work on the Mt. Rainier NP photo guide and Website.

I've had a few discussions with Web design company representatives, all wanting to do the work as part of a wholesale redesign of the Website, and sometimes in the discussion, the maps and my issue and need gets lost, meaning in short, they're not interested or can't really do the work but certainly for a price can redo my Website.

And while I won't argue the whole Website needs a new version 3 itself, currently on version 2.8, it's not something I'm interested in doing right now since it would entail a huge amount of work, review and learning. There are over 400 individual Web page and over 200 images, maps and files. One even suggested moving the entire Website to Wordpress, which is a Content Management System (CMS).

A CMS isn't in any plans on my part because it simply replaces what I have and use with an umbrella interface with a database, templates, etc. which requires learning that application and interface and assumes it can do everything I'm doing now and want to do in the future. It also requires installing Wordpress on the Website host server which I don't have the rights on the host without a lot of additional work with their permission.

So, in the end so far, I'm still where I was, in need of an expert with Google map API version 3, and I have at least 4 more maps to produce with descriptions Web pages. I might create one from scratch in version 3 to learn since I know the main block of version 2 code still works, it's in the input/output calls and commands which don't.

Anyway, I'll roll on and like the NPS pushing the snow around, I'll get there when I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment