Monday, August 27, 2007

Why Mondays are cool

Ok, for me anyway. I realized after nearly 40 years of working for someone, jobs and careers, or working for something, undergraduate and graduate school, Mondays aren't the coolest things people like in their life. And in my career I slowly learned to find a way to make it not so bad but setting time aside for getting into the idea of work and working on the workplan for the week and beyond. But since I retired nearly 20 months ago, Mondays are really cool.

I won't say my goals and plans are new or unique - that is learning to become a serious photographer and building it into a small personal business - but I have learned to enjoy Mondays. They are the days I sit down after the weekend and plan the week along with reviewing the month plan to see where I'm at and what I want, and occasionally have, to do. The latter is like last week.

But the important thing is that I don't put the pressure to do or be anywhere Mondays except to free think about my life, my work, and the rest of the world around me. I like to sit on the southeast facing deck and feel the sunshine and the warmth the morning - when it's clear and warm, after all it is the Puget Sound in Washington. To have a complete panoramic view of the southeast overlooking the Narrows Strait with the twin bridges south and Mount Rainier straight through the trees is something I am thankful for in my life.

And I get to sit in front of my really cool - to me anyway - computer and wander around the world checking the news, reading the bulletin boards and forums, writing on my blogs, thinking about places to go to photograph, doing my exercise program, and whatever else wanders by the synapses. I don't go anywhere. I just enjoy my place and the day while taking stock of life and work.

And that's why Mondays are cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment