Thursday, March 4, 2010

Dear Starbucks

I was reading the story in today (3/4) Tacoma News Tribune where Starbucks refused to ban handguns in stores. I am disappointed to say the least, especially that Starbucks doesn't care about the safety of employees and customers to ensure their businessess are gun-free. Several others businesses have banned guns in stores, such as Peet's Coffee and Tea. But apparently you care more about money.

Starbucks can ban handguns, the second Amendment and Washington law only allows guns to be openly carried in public places, except where prohibitied by city/county, state or federal laws. Private property owners and businesses can ban them, as several larger commercial operations and industries ban employees from bringing guns into the work place.

So, in the end, I will abide by my personal decision to boycott businesses that allow citizens to openly carry guns in their stores, the exception being law enforcement and security personnel. I routinely visit and buy at Starbucks several times a week, but now you will make me reevaluate my customer loyalty and find alternative businesses, which in your case isn't that hard.

I hope Starbucks changes it's mind and bans them in stores and cafe, openly displaying a sign to that effect. Otherwise, you've lost a customer until you decide otherwise. I'm sure the others coffee businesses, eg. Tully, SBC, Peets, etc. will enjoy my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment