Thursday, March 1, 2012

Please Apple

While I argued I'm not especially looking forward to Apple's new operating system, OS-X 10.8, Mountain Lion, I have to say yes I will likey install it later this year, once Adobe and the third party application software companies announce updates to work with it if it didn't already.

After all, quite a few applications had issues with Lion and I had to wait for them to develop Lion compatible versions before upgrading. But that's not what I want to ask Apple to do. Last May the rumor had spread Apple was considering dropping future development of the Mac Pro. Not like this computer is popular, but it is useful for a small market that isn't available else where in the computer market.

I've had Mac Pro's since 2006 when I bought my first, a G5 PPC (yeah, 3 months before they introduced the Intel chip version), and now I have a last model (2010) Mac Pro. Why do I need one that isn't available in other Apple computers, like iMac's? Well for one it house 4 internal hard drives, up to 2 Terabytes each - mine are one 1 TB HD's. It has tons of input/outputs on the computer and the monitor.

Currently I'm running three external HD's (two for backup's and one scratch HD), two scanners and two printers, and in everyday use it isn't even working hard. It has 16 GB's memory and I routinely run between 10-12 GB with the 40+ applications and files and more on occasion. And with all that, it just keep humming along.

And today it was announced the new Intel chip could upgrade Mac Pro's into the future generation of powerful professional computer for those who needs it. I hope Apple changes their mind and reinvests in the Mac Pro for the market of user who need or want these high end computers, especially to offer upgrades for 2010 models.

I would upgrade, and that's my, "Please Apple, keep investing in current and future Mac Pro computers. Keep the small market of users as customers. Don't force them into making iMac's work which won't because the designs don't fit the needs and interests of professional users."

It's not about the mass market. It's about the niche market you have long supported. Keep it up. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment