Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Update on LF Photography

It's been just over a year since I updated the blog about my learning and working in large format photography. And to tell the truth, there hasn't been much to say in terms of accomplishments. It's not for the lack of trying, but everything else with life and work and some on-going health issues which more or less parked the camera bag and tripod. But the interest and motivation is back, albeit around everything else.

So what has happened since then? Well for one the Layton L-45A camera hasn't been produced, yet. It's on the horizon and accoring to Mr. Layton, things are closer to completion. I still have a deposit on the camera and still have 3 lenses exclusively for it and 1 shared with the Horseman HD I'm curently using. I like Horseman, but it does have limitation for lenses due to the small lensboard and lens opening to the bellows.

But I have added a Schneider 90mm f8 Super Angulon lens for the set, currently with the Schneider 120mm f5.6 Super Symmar HM, a 150mm f5.6 Symmar-S and a 210mm f5.6 Symmar-S. This pretty much covers the range I want. I would like to add a 300mm lens but all the later series ones use Copal 3 shutters and have large rear lens groups which won't fit the Horseman.

That aside, the lenses are any good unless they're used, which the goal and plan for this fall, winter and spring, to schedule at least a day a week going somewhere to photograph. I've found quite a few places that look interesting, so with the health issue waning, there's hope and opportunity. Or at least that's the plan, and as usual I'll keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment