Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Flu Shot

If you haven't had this year's flu shot, consider yourself lucky, whether you've already had the flu or not. I had the flu for 2+ weeks last November followed by the intestinal flu which they said is common with a suppressed immune system.

But then I've been plagued with an intestinal infection and flu-like symptoms since then with just brief periods of relief, until this week when my body finally was winning the war waging in my digestive tract.

So I decided, being 65, to get a flu shot anyway to help if any of the variations of the flu finds me. Big mistake. I had the 4-flu types shot and overnight had exactly what the CDC warned people about with the side effects and adverse reactions:

The bold and underlined lines are what I have.

Mild Problems
Several mild problems have been reported within 2 weeks of getting the vaccine:
  • headaches, upper respiratory tract infection (about 1 person in 3) 
  • stuffy nose, sore throat, joint pain (about 1 person in 6) 
  • abdominal pain, cough, nausea (about 1 person in 7)
  • diarrhea (about 1 person in 10) 
  • fever (about 1 person in 100)
Severe Problems
More serious problems have been reported by about 1 person in 100, within 6 months of vaccination. These problems included:
  • blood in the urine or stool 
  • pneumonia 
  • inflammation of the stomach or intestines
I woke up with severe abdominal and back pain, sort joints and a very inflammed digestive tract which has left me with severe constipation. This sucks, and had I researched the shot further I opted this year. My body hurts more now than when I had the flu.

In short, think twice if you want the flu shot. I won't advise against it, but beware your body will likely not like this year's vaccine.

No comments:

Post a Comment