Thursday, October 25, 2012

What's With Apps

Update 10/26/12.-- Not so fast Grasshopper. Checking the log this evening the application went nuts again, with these error messages every 5 seconds,

Librariand: error in handle_client_request: LibrarianErrorDoman/10/Unable to configure the collection.
Librariand: no ubiquity account configure, not creating collection.

I'm curious what it means, but the company has my complaint.

Update 10/25/12.--I rebooted the Mac and when I started the application, OS-X reconfigured the log messages from it to throttle it to just the first redundant message. Ok, OS-X is smarter than the application. So now I'll use it.

Original Post.-- What's with software developers who write an application which creates endless error messages in the console log on my computer (Mac Pro running OS-X 10.7.5)? I  bought about a year ago what apppeared to be a cool little application called Day One, but using the previous version the minute I opened the application it wrote a multi-line error message every second.

So I stopped using it. I use console log to monitor events on the Mac, such as watching the Time Machine backup which sometimes goes beserk and takes a long time if it stops at all. Apple has solved this where it only takes 4-5 minutes normally and 5-10 minutes with a lot of updates or large files.

I also watch it for watching other events and applications, but the console window has a 4,000 line capacity so when an application starts writing a lot of error messages, all the other messages get lost off the window. So I updated Day One to the latest version, 1.7.2, and sure enough, it now writes a two line error message every 5 seconds.

What's with folks they can't solve these problems or trap this error message? I'm running the standard off the rack OS-X, so it's an easily seeable error message, if of course they actually check the error log for their applications, which to me, appears they don't or at least not often enough.

So, I stopped using this application again. It's a cool little application but not if it can't solve or restrain the error messages. I can bitch about this because part of my former job was testing and debugging software, so error message are important, but it's more important to find the source of the message and fix the problem, preferably before it's released to users.

Oh well, just a rant about applications and error messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment